Our mission is to remain an independent community bank providing quality financial products and service that benefit the people and businesses of the communities we serve.
We aim to fully live up to our mission – every day, in every situation. We remain – as we have since 1855 – steadfast in our commitment to serve you and our communities.
Over 160 Years of Service.
- Founded in 1855 for the purpose of providing banking services to local citizens
- The 23rd savings institution formed in the state of Connecticut
- At the Bank’s outset, a single depositor was limited to a maximum amount of $400
- In its first annual report in 1856, the Bank had $7,104 in real estate loans and $17,201 in deposits
- Reached its first million dollars in assets in 1908
- The Bank’s first building opened for service in 1910, on the site of the present main office location in Newtown
- Between 1930 and 1933 – as 5,504 U.S. banks succumbed to the Great Depression – Newtown Savings Bank assets increased each year
- 1966: The Bank becomes computerized
- 1987: ATMs and 24-hour banking services are introduced
- 1995: Newtown Investment Services Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Newtown Savings Bank, is introduced
- 1998: The Foundation is formed for the purpose of making donations to various not for profit organizations
- 2008: Rolls out remote deposit with scanners at 68 business locations by year end
- 2009: In very difficult lending times, Bank has record year originating mortgages
- 2010: Opened the Bank’s second Monroe location at Clock Tower Plaza
- 2014: Newtown Savings Bank Credit Cards were introduced to consumers and businesses
- 2015: Celebrated 160 years of serving the people and businesses in our communities